Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Freedom to create, but to exhibit?








Howdy art seekers J Hope ya’ll are enjoying the cool weather we have had these last couple of days in Aggieland. And if you are reading from somewhere else in the world, hope that great days are being had in your neck of the woods as well! All of the natural beauty inspired me to take a bike ride with my pal Wendy to Rudder tower to see some man-made beauty at an exhibit that the MSC Visual Arts Committee (VAC) is currently hosting in Rudder Tower. The theme of the display is 2-dimensional work that portrays its artist/artists’ view of what it means to have the freedom to create giving the exhibit its title.

Wendy and I were excited to check out what other students’ view of creative freedom in their artwork. Personally, I was also hoping to find more insight into how art is playing a role in the overall culture at A&M and abroad. And I figure if I am going to be blogging about this stuff, I need to see it for myself! I had high expectations for the grandeur of the exhibition… finally a devoted space for artists to show off their stuff on campus! We went inside Rudder and quickly spotted our friend, Ziggy, as I often find familiar faces when going through the lobby there. We asked him to come along to see this special art exhibit and took the elevator up to the 11th floor where the art was supposed to be. This was my first time to go to the top floor of the building so I was not sure what the set up would be like but I was sure it would be an open space with large canvases on tripods and walls strategically placed for optimal viewing around the room. But unfortunately we got up there to find a formal dining area with people enjoying their lunch on the right and two doors closed shut on the left. No art in sight. My friend Ziggy decided to open the doors on the left despite our hesitancies of getting in trouble for something. Thankfully, we didn’t come up to the 11th floor for nothing. We did find some gorgeous artwork and a small indicator that this was in fact VAC’s “Freedom to Create” Exhibit. And guess what? They had the doors closed and the artwork seemed almost hidden because the room it was in was under construction! Tools and equipment were scattered around the room. Plants and other nick knacks blocked paintings from being fully visible.

I don’t mention all of this to bash on the Visual Arts crew but to suggest that they had to resort to a dining room to display there works because there is such a lack of good areas for a long-term exhibit available. I am more critiquing the culture for its treatment of art related things. Maybe we happened to visit on the worst day but I must admit I was slightly disappointed in the location. Despite the obstructed views, I very much enjoyed the incredible, unique pieces. I took a few snapshots to show ya’ll. The display is there until December 2nd. The Visual Arts Committee needs to keep up the good work and hopefully space for these events will become more accessible and more prominent in the way of life around here.

Just for fun here's a cool video that Ziggy showed me of another form of art.. music using the everyday gadgets of a vehicle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFybwg4wadI


No comments:

Post a Comment