Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Creator Underwraps

Attention all art seekers! My first personal discovery of a College Station local trying to place their creations on display has been made. The pleasant surprise was stumbled upon in an unexpected venue. Joining the multitude of Aggies in Spence Park pre-kick off on game day, I arrived at a tailgate that my sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda, was doing with our brother fraternity, Kappa Upsilon Chi.

While making the rounds to ensure that I said hello to everyone that I knew, I nearly trampled on a small blanket resting under a tree that was decorated with happily colored vintage fabrics formed into various geometric shapes and aesthetically pleasing floral designs perfectly placed on headbands and hair clips. Not far from the collection of pretty accessories sat a girl holding a notebook and wearing a smile. I was thrilled to see well-made adornments on display at a public function. However, it confirmed my accusation from my earlier post that the opportunity to sell and show art is minimal in the Bryan/College Station area if an artist is having to resort to the grass beneath the shadows of a crowded tailgate full of football fanatics.

The artist, Tyne, was able to find those like myself in this populated location that were relieved to find a unique product, but it would be ideal and exponentially more beneficial for her work if seen in front of an audience that comes in eagerness of obtaining that type of craft and not for free food before a football game. So I now have proof that there really are people crafting artsy pieces, but it seems as though it is a secret society just waiting to be unveiled in the Bryan/College Station community.

Check out Tyne’s cute creations


No comments:

Post a Comment